If your client’s blog and online content are underwhelming or non-existent, then it’s clear that simply having content creation tools available is not enough.
Why Your Clients Have Content Woes
Nearly all SMBs lack the ability to write engaging content on a regular basis. They do not write content because of one or all of the following challenges:
- They lack basic knowledge of online marketing
- They do not have writing experience
- There is no time to take away from operational activities
If your client’s last blog post was from June 1st….2009, or their business Facebook page is dominated by photos of the owner’s dog, yet they’re a dental office, then they need to find a better content solution.
What To Do About Content Creation
There are two ways to handle a client’s content problem:
1) Educate them. At a minimum, you can provide your clients with a blog writing resource that helps them understand the importance of consistent on-site content. Direct them to free tools to manage social content if they want to create it themselves or do not have the budget to outsource. Maybe lead a work-shop that educates SMBs on using an editorial calendar for WordPress blogs. Encouragement and education will prove effective for motivated SMBs.
2) Provide Content. To ensure that your clients maintain a competitive online presence, deliver blogs, articles and other content to your clients as a service offering. If you don’t have the resources to do this copy writing in-house, then you can outsource content creation to a trusted partner.
Offering your clients a comprehensive online marketing strategy is a good bet. Regular content in the form of blogs and social updates are an important piece of that strategy. As an agency, the more diverse your offering is, the more likely everyone involved comes out a winner.
Photo credit: photosteve101