Student Experts is a growing online services provider and marketplace. We harness the talent of students, recent graduates, and professionals to provide affordable, skilled services for businesses and consumers. Founded in 2008, the company focuses on providing online marketing services to over 1,500 small and medium-sized businesses. We are seeking a creative and independent software development engineer to help define, build, and maintain global systems for our rapidly growing company.
The Senior Software Developer will be responsible for designing our new technology strategy and directly implementing it. As we expand into new service verticals, we need a technology strategy that will scale with us and enable us to quickly add new offerings. Working with the operations team and reporting to the CEO, the Senior Software Developer will optimize existing workflows and transition the organization to a service-oriented software architecture (SOA). The Senior Software Developer will map the short- and long-term visions of the company to a technology strategy, enabling our business to grow without the need to add more people to manage processes.
- Developing a technology architecture that enables the business to scale from 70 employees and 1,500 customers to 400 employees and 10,000 customers while remaining profitable. The system should require no more than three developers to build and only take ½ of a developer to maintain at scale.
- Developing and optimizing workflow management systems to cut down on non-value-added business user time by 60%.
- Enabling the business to launch 12 new products by adding necessary workflow, systems, and customer-facing applications to our technology infrastructure.
- Building a workflow management system that enables business users to add new services, adjust workflows, and change business rules with no developer coding time required.
- Building a data warehouse that automatically pulls metrics and allows business users with basic SQL knowledge to query and pull data.
- Developing three proof-of-concept web applications that incorporate all business requirements, interface directly with our workflow management system, have 99.999% up-time, and require no more than four hours of developer time per week to maintain.
- Developing a set of APIs to enable data exchange between Student Experts and our customers.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or related field, or 4+ years of relevant work experience.
- 2+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design.
- Computer science fundamentals in data structures and data modeling.
- Computer science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Integration of web services from multiple SAAS providers into a centralized platform, including workflow automation, optimization, and design.
- Expertise with PHP, MySQL, Linux, Apache, CSS, HTML, AJAX, and scripting languages is required.
- Development of modules for third-party applications.
- Customer-focused and practical usability experience.
- Design, implementation, debugging, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Highly desirable candidates will have:
- 3-7 years of industry experience.
- Experience building large and complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through launch.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and produce technical designs.
- Experience with ActiveCollab.
- Experience supporting a multi-tier service-oriented software stack.
- Experience with C++, Java, C#, SOAP, and RESTful API Development.
- Experience with Excel, data transformation, and data validation.
- A graduate degree in computer science.
Position Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive salary.
- Fully paid health and dental benefits.
- Generous vacation policy.
- Transparent management.
- Collaborative, results-oriented environment.
- Friendly co-workers and a casual dress code.
- Paperless, modern offices with lots of sunlight.
- Stocked kitchen with snacks, gourmet coffee, craft beer, and more.
- Complimentary Friday lunches.
Interested? Apply online